Damage Waiver (“Collision Damage Waiver, aka “CDW”) is not insurance or an insurance product. Operators agree to waive the renter’s responsibility for loss or damage to the vehicle in full or in part. CDW does not apply if:
- the renter uses the vehicle in violation of the Rental Agreement;
- the renter fails to remove the keys, or close and lock all windows, doors and trunk, and the vehicle is stolen or vandalized;
- the renter fails to notify the operator and the police immediately after the loss;
- the renter fails to pay the charges under the Rental Agreement; or
- other exceptions as allowed by the applicable state or other governmental law.
Before deciding whether to purchase any Collision Damage Waiver, the renter may wish to determine whether their own automobile insurance or credit card agreement provides coverage for rental vehicle damage or loss and determine the amount of the deductible under their own insurance coverage.
Please sign in to leave a comment.