In order to rent a car in the United States, drivers must meet the following requirements:
- Location minimum age requirements
- The minimum age to rent a vehicle is 21 years of age. An underage fee may be applied to your rental if you are between the ages of 21 and 24.
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Customers who reside in the United States, U.S. Territories, or Canada must present a valid, unexpired government-issued driver's license which includes a photograph of the customer. Digital licenses are not accepted. The driver's license must be valid for the entire rental period.
- Customers traveling to the United from another country must present the following:
- Their home country driver's license, and
- If the home country driver's license is in a language other than English (or French, for rentals in Canada) and the letters are English (i.e. German, Spanish, etc.) an International Driver's Permit is recommended, but not required, for translation purposes in addition to the home country driver's license.
- If the home country driver's license is in a language other than English and the letters are not English (i.e. alphabet is not an extended Latin-based alphabet like German or Spanish but is Russian, Japanese, Arabic, etc.) an International Driver's Permit is required.
- If an International Driver's Permit cannot be obtained in the home country, another professional, type-written translation may be substituted. In either case, the home country driver's license must also be presented.
- Customers may not rent a vehicle solely with the International Driver's Permit. The International Driver's Permit is a translation of the individual's home country driver's license and is not considered a license nor is it considered valid identification.
- In some US locations, customers not holding a US driver’s license may be asked to provide additional documentation. Examples of this may include a valid passport or, in certain states (AZ, CA, NM, TX) a valid Mexican voter registration card and/or inbound and outbound travel documentation.
- Provide acceptable forms of payment
- Credit cards are the preferred form of payment at the airport and non-airport locations in the U.S.
Debit cards might be accepted at some airport and non-airport locations. We strongly recommend checking in advance with the operator.
Please sign in to leave a comment.