Thank you for using AutoRentals.com’s website or mobile properties (collectively, the “Site”), which are provided by the AutoRentals.com Corporation (“AutoRentals”).
AutoRentals.com is a car rental price comparison and booking tool. We provide you with information about third-party car rental suppliers’ and online travel agencies’ offers, and either link you to their sites or enable you to complete your car rental booking directly on our Site.
We understand that your usage of our service involves a great deal of trust on your part. We take this trust very seriously and make it a high priority to ensure the security and confidentiality of the personal information you provide to us when you visit our Site or use our services. Before submitting your personal information to us, please read this Policy carefully to learn about our privacy practices. By visiting AutoRentals’s site, www.AutoRentals.com, or using a mobile phone, tablet, or similar device (a "Device") to access our content, you are accepting the practices described herein.
What information we collect from you
We receive and may store, but do not always store, the information you enter on our Site or give us in any other way. This includes information that can identify you (“personal information”), including your first and last name, telephone number, e-mail address, username and password, and billing information (such as your credit card number, cardholder name, and card expiration date). Although we do receive such billing information, we do not store it in any fashion whatsoever. We may also request information about your travel plans, style, and preferences, such as your preferred rental car pickup location or car class. You can choose not to provide information to us, but in general, some information about you is required in order for you to receive relevant offerings from AutoRentals. In addition, some information is also required in order for you to have your customer service questions answered by us.
Information from Other Sources.
We also may periodically obtain both personal and non-personal information about you from affiliated entities, business partners and other independent third-party sources and add it to other information about you. For example, if you visit AutoRentals by “clicking-through” from a site operated by one of our business partners, and you have registered with that partner, then information about you that you have provided to that partner may be shared with us. We will work with our existing partners and potential future partners to improve and personalize your use of our Site in accordance with the practices outlined in this section and Policy.
We automatically collect some information from your computer or device when you visit AutoRentals. For example, we will collect session data, including your IP address, Web browser software, and referring Web site. We also may collect information about your online activity, such as content viewed, pages visited, and searches and/or reservations facilitated or made. One of our goals in collecting this automatic information is to help us understand the interests and preferences of our users and customize your user experience.
Cookies and Other Web Technologies.
- To help us customize the content, website experience, and advertisements provided to you on our Site. For example, when you access a Web page, a cookie is automatically set by us, our service providers, or our partners to recognize your browser as you navigate on the Internet and to present you with information and advertising based on your apparent interests. See Display of Advertising/Your Choices for more information about our online advertising practices and your choices.
- To help measure and research the effectiveness of website features and offerings, advertisements, and e-mail communications (by determining which e-mails you open and act upon).
The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers should tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable most types of cookies. Please note that if you refuse to accept cookies, you may not be able to access many of the features of our Site.
Our Site also may use Web beacons (also known as pixel), which are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, that are placed in the code of a Web page. We use Web beacons to monitor the traffic patterns of users from one page within our Site to another, to deliver or communicate with cookies, to understand whether you have come to our Site from an online advertisement displayed on a third-party Web site, and to improve site performance. We also may allow our service providers to use Web beacons to help us understand which emails have been opened by recipients and to track the visitor traffic and actions on our site. This helps us measure the effectiveness of our content and other offerings.
Display of Advertising/Your Choices
Data collected to serve you with relevant advertising
AutoRentals is committed to providing you with relevant content and information. To do this, we may collect information about your travel-related searches and other site activities, such as where you are looking for a rental car and use this information to serve you with ads on our Site or elsewhere online that match your apparent interests. So, for example, if you search for a car rental with a pickup in Florida on AutoRentals.com, you may see an ad for a Florida car rental on AutoRentals.com or on another website you visit.
Data collected by business partners and ad networks to serve you with relevant advertising
Many of the advertisements you see on AutoRentals.com are served by us. But we also allow third parties to collect information about your online activities through cookies and other technologies. These third parties include (1) business partners, who collect information when you view or interact with one of their advertisements on our sites, and (2) advertising networks, who collect information about your interests when you view or interact with one of the advertisements they place on many different Web sites on the Internet. The information gathered by these third parties is used to make predictions about your characteristics, interests or preferences and to display advertisements on our sites and across the Internet tailored to your apparent interests.
Response to Do Not Track signals
Your Web browser may transmit a “Do Not Track” (“DNT”) signal to AutoRentals and other websites. Because of differences in Web browsers' default settings and the manner in which browsers incorporate DNT signals, it is sometimes unclear to site operators whether site visitors have selected the DNT setting themselves, or whether they are aware that they have a choice in determining the setting. AutoRentals does not currently respond to DNT signals. Once the Internet industry has settled on standards related to this issue and AutoRentals recognizes such standards, we may reevaluate this approach.
How we use your information
Please review "Your choices with respect to the collection and use of your information" below.
With whom we share your information
AutoRentals may share your information with the following entities:
- Third-party vendors who provide services or functions on our behalf, including business analytics, payment processing, customer service, marketing, distribution of surveys or sweepstakes programs, and fraud prevention. We may also authorize third-party vendors to collect information on our behalf, including, for example, as necessary to operate features of our Site or to facilitate the delivery of online advertising tailored to your interests. Third-party vendors have access to and may collect information only as needed to perform their functions and are not permitted to share or use the information for any other purpose.
- Business partners with whom we may offer products or services in conjunction. You can tell when a third party is involved in a product or service you have requested because their name will appear either with ours or separately. If you choose to access these optional services, we may share information about you, including your personal information, with those partners. Please note that we do not control the privacy practices of these third-party business partners.
- Referring Web sites. If you were referred to AutoRentals from another Web site, we may share information about you, such as actions you take on our Site, with that referring Web site. We have not placed limitations on the referring Web sites' use of personal information, and we encourage you to review the privacy policies of any Web site that referred you to AutoRentals.
We also may share your information if we believe, in our sole discretion, that such disclosure is necessary:
- To comply with legitimate and enforceable subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases we reserve the right to raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us.
- In connection with a corporate transaction, such as a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
Other than as set out above, you will be notified when personal information about you will be shared with third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to have us share such information.
We also may share aggregate or anonymous information with third parties, including advertisers and investors. For example, we may tell our advertisers the number of visitors our Site receives or the most popular car rental suppliers and pickup locations. This information does not contain any personal information and is used to develop content and services we hope you will find of interest.
How you can access your information
You can access and update your contact information by visiting the Account Profile page on the Site. You can close your AutoRentals account by contacting us at the email or mailing addresses listed below. Please note that after you close an account, you will not be able to sign in or access any of your personal information. However, you can open a new account at any time. Please also note that we may retain certain information associated with your account in our archives, including for analytical purposes as well as for recordkeeping integrity.
Your choices with respect to the collection and use of your information
- As discussed above, you can choose not to provide us with any information, although it may be needed to take advantage of certain features offered on AutoRentals.
- You also can add or update information and close your account as described above. If you decide to close your AutoRentals account, we will deactivate your account and remove your profile information. Please note, however, that we may retain in our files some information associated with your account and past transactions for purposes including backups, fraud prevention, dispute resolution, investigations, and compliance with legal requirements.
- As a registered AutoRentals member, you can modify your e-mail subscription choices at any time on the Account Profile page. Whether registered as AutoRentals member or not, you also will be given the opportunity to unsubscribe from promotional messages in any such e-mail we send. Please note that we reserve the right to send you other communications, including transactional communications, administrative messages, and surveys relating to your AutoRentals account, without offering you the opportunity to opt-out of receiving them.
- Email Communications. AutoRentals wants to make it easy for you to take advantage of travel-related opportunities on our Site. One way we do this is by sending you e-mail messages that contain information about your apparent travel-related interests. For example, if you search for a car rental pickup in Las Vegas on AutoRentals.com, we may send you an email message reminding you about car rental deals in Las Vegas. Similarly, if you receive an email about Las Vegas travel and demonstrate an interest in Las Vegas by affirmatively clicking on a link about Las Vegas in the email, you may receive an email about Las Vegas car rentals. We believe these email messages will provide you with useful information about travel-related special offers available on our Site. Please note that you will have the opportunity to choose not to receive these email messages in any such email we send.
- The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Please note that if you refuse to accept cookies from AutoRentals, you will not be able to access portions of our site.
How we protect your information
We want you to feel confident about using AutoRentals, and we are committed to protecting the information we collect. While no Web site can guarantee security, we have implemented appropriate administrative, technical, and physical security procedures to help protect the personal information you provide to us. For example, only authorized employees are permitted to access personal information, and they only may do so for permitted business functions. In addition, we use encryption when transmitting your personal information between your system and ours, and between our systems and those of the parties with whom we share sensitive information, we employ firewalls and intrusion detection systems to help prevent unauthorized persons from gaining access to your information.
AutoRentals is a general audience site and does not offer services directed to children. Should an individual whom we know to be a child under age 13 send personal information to us, we will delete or destroy such information as soon as reasonably possible.
Visiting our Site from outside the United States
If you are visiting our Site from outside the United States, please be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States where our servers are located and our central database is operated. The data protection and other laws of the United States and other countries might not be as comprehensive as those in your country, but please be assured that AutoRentals does take steps pursuant to laws in the United States to ensure that your privacy is protected. By using our services, you understand that your information may be transferred to our facilities and those third parties with whom we share it as described in this Policy.
California Consumer Privacy Act Privacy Statement (“CCPA Statement”)
This CCPA Statement is provided pursuant to the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) and applies to California residents and supplements our overall Privacy Statement with additional disclosures and rights.
Your rights under CCPA
As of January 1, 2020, California law permits residents of California to request certain details about how their personal information is shared with third parties or affiliated companies for direct marketing purposes.
California residents may also take advantage of the following rights:
- You may request, up to two times each year, that we disclose to you the categories and specific pieces of personal information that we have collected about you, the categories of sources from which your personal information is collected, the business or commercial purpose for collecting your personal information, the categories of personal information that we disclosed for a business purpose, any categories of personal information about you that we sold, the categories of third parties with whom we have shared your personal information, and the business or commercial purpose for selling your personal information, if applicable.
- You may request that we delete any personal information that we have collected from or about you. As described in more detail in our Privacy Statement, there are some reasons we will not be able to fully address your deletion request, such as if we need to complete a transaction for you, to detect and protect against fraudulent and illegal activity, to exercise our rights, or to comply with a legal obligation. You can also access, update, and remove your information by visiting the Member Profile page on our website.
- You may request to opt-out of our sale of your personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. This means that, if you opt-out, going forward, we will not share your information with such third parties to use for their purposes unless you later direct us to do so. To effect the opt-out, please click on the Do Not Sell My Personal Information link on our website footer or submit a request in writing to the contact information below.
To take advantage of your disclosure and deletion rights, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We may need to verify your identity to enable us to process your request. We value your privacy and will not discriminate in response to your exercise of privacy rights. We will respond to your request within 45 days of receipt of your request, after proper verification, unless we need additional time, in which case we will let you know.
For purposes of compliance with the CCPA, in addition to the further details as described in the Statement, we make the following disclosures:
- We collect the following categories of personal information: Identifiers/Contact Information, transactional information, Internet or other electronic network activity information, geolocation, and inferences drawn from the above.
- We sell the following categories of personal information: Identifiers/Contact Information, transactional information, Internet or other electronic network activity information, geolocation, and inferences drawn from the above.
We disclose the following categories of personal information for a business purpose: Identifiers/Contact Information, transactional information, Internet or other electronic network activity information, geolocation, and inferences drawn from the above.